Q I have been using Depo-Provera for the last 7 years and I feel that it is time to come off of it. I have seen increased weight gain (about 5 pounds per year). How long will it take for me to lose the weight that I have gained after stopping the injections? Does anyone lose the weight easily after stopping?
A: You have been using Depo-Provera for the last 7 years and feel that it is time to come off of it. You have gained 5 pounds per year. Now you want to know how long will it take for you to lose the weight that you have gained while using Depo.
|As your last sentence suggests, nobody loses weight easily…ever!!! And I certainly cannot tell you how long losing the weight you want to lose will take.|
Losing Weight: Several Suggestions
Helping someone to lose weight in 60 seconds! Program your life and I encourage you to:
- Eat less (small, frequent meals helps some to lose weight); eat balanced diet with lots of fruits and vegetables and less mineral fats, chips cookies, pasta and other carbohydrates. Skip the soda and juice and alcohol.
- Exercise more. Get a pedometer and walk 10,000 steps a day! 60 minutes of exercise every day!
- Find patterns of eating and exercising that you enjoy! You won’t do them for long unless you enjoy the process. Find a team, class or friend to help.
- Call Overeaters Anonymous (OA), a free source of love and caring. A long-term weight reduction program you do have to pay for is Weight Watchers, the only long-term program shown to help people maintain weight loss.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Avoid fad diets and stick to a simple plan: eat less and burn more calories.
Good luck. Losing weight is so hard!!!
Robert A. Hatcher MD, MPH
Emeritus Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Emory University School of Medicine
To learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of Depo-Provera injections, go to: www.managingcontraception.com. You can order all of these books listed below from our website or by calling 404-875-5001.
Key Words: Depo-Provera injections, weight gain, discontinue, suggestions, eat less, balanced diet, fruits, vegetables, exercise, Overeaters Anonymous, Weight Watchers, water, calories
Contraceptive Technology 20th edition
Managing Contraception 2015-2016 edition
Choices 2014 edition