UNINTENDED PREGNANCY AND FLU
One (1) million of the 10 million women who will have intercourse tonight do NOT want to become pregnant BUT will use no contraceptive (10%).
Approximately half of all unintended pregnancies are in women using no contraceptive at all. All of the 1 million women who will have intercourse using no contracceptive at all tonight, but do not wish to become pregnant, have ffour readily available options: abstinence, outercourse, a condom or withdrawal.
Were a condom used correctly by a woman tonight her risk of pregnancy would be 1 in 4,000. Here is how that 1 in 4,000 risk is calculated:
- The perfect user failure rate for using condoms is 2 pregnancies among 100 couples using condoms perfectly for a year PERFECTLY… no mistakes. Perfectly means using a condom every single time, placing the condom on the penis before there is any vaginal penetration and removing the penis from the vagina as soon as ejaculation occurs.
- This means 2 pregnancies in 100 couples each having intercourse about 80 times a year or 4 pregnancies from 100 X 80 or 8,000 acts of intercourse.
- 2/8,000 = 1/4,000. THIS IS THE FAILURE RATE FOR A SINGLE ACT OF INTERCOURSE USING A CONDOM CORRECTLY. NOT TOO SHABBY!
A couple using withdrawal perfectly ONCE has a risk of 1 in 2,000 of becoming pregnant. Were withdrawal used correctly tonight by a woman and her partner, her risk of pregnancy from that one act of intercourse would be 1 in 2,000. Here is how that 1 in 2,000 risk is calculated:
- The perfect user failure rate for withdrawal is 4 pregnancies among 100 couples using withdrawal for a year PERFECTLY… no mistakes.
- This means 4 pregnancies in 100 couples having intercourse about 80 times a year or 4 pregnancies from 100 X 80 in 8,000 acts of intercourse.
- 4/8,000 = 1/2,000
- A couple using withdrawal perfectly ONCE has a risk of 1 in 2,000 of becoming pregnant.
Couples who choose to use outercourse or abstinence tonight would have no risk for pregnancy at all.
Another day we will discuss IUDs, Implanon implants, male and female sterilization and several other effective contraceptives women wanting to avoid unwanted pregnancies can use.
Right now is an incredible good time to avoid an unintended pregnancy. It is flu season. Both seasonal flu season and swine or H1N1 flu threaten pregnant women. Last year only only 15% of pregnant women were immunized against seasonal flu. Public health officials are not expecting this percent to be much better this winter. And they are estimating that only 5% of pregnant women will be immunized against the new H1N1 flu. Miserably low numbers.
Since the swine flu has been upon us, 6% of deaths attributed to this virus have been pregnant women but only 1% of the population has been pregnant. So the H1N1 virus is dangerous for pregnant$$ women. And the problem for the developing baby is that premature births are more likely if a woman has been infected with the H1N1 virus during pregnancy. So there are problems for mother and child.
BOTTOM LINE: Unintended pregnancy is never desireable. But with two flu epidemics about to descend upon us NOW is an incredibly good time to avoid an unintended pregnancy.